Saturday, October 04, 2014

Shellshock Patching for little old me here at GSD

So while I do primarily run Windows OS versions here at the GSD micro-ranch, I do have at least one Ubuntu (14.04) virtual machine that I use.

So, it seemed like a Good Idea to go ahead and do some patching.

The very first thing I did was to hit the easy button and just open a terminal prompt and type/execute

sudo apt-get update

Or you could just run the “Software Updater” application.

(Note: it’s good practice to do that regularly, regardless if there is an exploit-de-jour out and about or not!)

Then -- for good measure and a waste of time -- I did this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade bash

Maybe you will want to do this also for cleanup; optional.

sudo apt-get autoremove

Reboot and done; at least until I check back weekly and look for new updates.

References:

Also, for you Apple OS users:

Cheers,

Claus Valca

No comments: