Saturday, November 02, 2013

PowerShell 4.0 and a tiny “gotcha”

I spotted news last week that Microsoft released a new updated version (4.0) of PowerShell.

Download Windows Management Framework 4.0 - Microsoft Download Center

I thought I read and had met all the prerequisites successfully, so I installed away. Only when I checked the installed version it still reported 3.0. Hmmm.

I checked the “Add/Remove” program list and didn’t find the update listed in the Windows components. Strange. And when I tried to reinstall it, it said it was already installed…despite not being listed in the installed components.

What gives.

Long story short, after additional troubleshooting I found out that a required component for PowerShell 4.0 was missing.  WMF 4.0 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5

I thought I had it on already, but turned out I had .NET Framework 4.0. My bad.

So I downloaded the .NET Framework 4.5 from the Microsoft Download Center and got it on my system, then reinstalled WMF 4.0 one more time.

This time it took and a version-check in PowerShell showed the new version was present.

bxi1mnbd.adw

A few days later this issue became pretty common information so you may want to consult this post if you haven’t figured it out yet. It has great technical details.

Related:

So now what?

Cheers.

Claus Valca

No comments: