Friday, August 11, 2006

DIY: Laptop Cooling Stand

The other night I was running a particularly long laptop session on our dining room table.

The laptop was getting pretty warm to the touch.

At work we utilize cool (and expensive) laptop cooling stands, but I didn't have one handy. What to do?

While raiding the fridge for a beverage, my eyes landed on some cookie-dough and inspiration hit.

I dug out our Pampered Chef baker's cooling rack. Our is rectangular and has collapsible stands with little rubber anti-skid feet, but even the no-stand kind would work. Just like Alton Brown, I also love a good multi-tasker!

I tossed it on the table, and placed the laptop on top (with the leg-stands collapsed). Perfect fit, stable surface and just enough clearance to let air-flow circulate better, yet not high enough to prevent comfortable use of the keyboard. The temperature began to drop pretty fast.

Cost--free--since we already had one! Would have been way cheaper than anything "custom" laptop cooling solution offered in the electronics stores.

Just make sure you take your cookies off before using!

See you in the skies,
--Claus

No comments: